| Gary Rowett looks on at his side |
Apologies for the absence, I have been busy with university
applications, college work and all sorts of things but I’m back!
So first of all I thought that after a long break I would
review what’s happened this season so far. However, after thinking on it, I
realised I had done the Clark stuff to death and instead ill give a brief
summary and review of the Rowett era so far. Football is a funny old game and
this season really has proved that to the ST. Andrews faithful. Overall, this
new beginning has been fantastic although not without its shaky moments.
Taking charge against top of the table Wolves, I was shocked
by the change in the team. The game wasn’t without its concerns, far from it,
however Rowett managed to completely sure up the back four who had conceded an
embarrassing eight goals the previous week. I said at the game the tactics were
far more improved however I was reluctant to give in to Rowett’s persuading
charm in case this was just a new manager giving the team a lift. I’m sure not
even the most optimistic fan expected us to keep a clean sheet against top of
the league at Molineux and then three days later face top of the league Watford
and dominate the game, winning from a superb Cotterill cross which met the head
of a towering Clayton Donaldson.
With impressive performances against Cardiff, Rotherham and
Forest, Blues were able to extend their unbeaten run to five games with a 0-0
against Cardiff and winning the other two games. Beating forest meant that we
had won two home games in the space of a month, a feat that Lee Clark couldn’t
manage in a whole calendar year. So when the fixture list showed we’d be
playing Lee Clark’s Blackpool next, surely we would be certain of a win? Wrong.
As a Bluenose, even with the massive lift Rowett had given to both the players
and the fans, something didn’t feel right. Too many times have I seen former
players come back to bite Blues and I felt exactly the same about former
manager Lee Clark. The Blues stayed true to my pessimism and due to a slip from
Paul Robinson, Davies was able to capitalise and give the tangerines and Lee
Clark a 1-0 victory.
| Young star Gray finds his shooting boots |
Strangely, my usual pessimism had disappeared and I felt as
though it would all be different next week. It was hard to swallow a defeat to
bottom of the league Blackpool but we had to lose at some point and I honestly
expected us to slip up against a weak side like Blackpool. Although I had a newfound
positivity, I certainly did not expect to see Birmingham slot six past Reading.
A first half hat-rick from Demarai Gray and a well-practiced free kick routine
that Caddis fired home saw the blues 4-1 up at half time. If I had one
criticism of Gray before this game it would have been that his end product was
lacking. With three very tidy finishes, Gray completely disregarded my thoughts
with a great showing of composure and ability in front of goal. If Gray can
consistently show that kind of finishing, the eighteen year old may have an
incredible career before him. But what a time to do it Demarai, with only a few
weeks before the January transfer window opened, Gray has rightly earned
himself a lot of attention from Premier League sides and a two million pound
offer has already been rejected for the teenage winger to join Bournemouth.
Holding on to Gray until the end of the season could be vital to ensure we
continue to progress the way we are and also to ensure we get the right amount
of money for him. I feel it’s also important for the player’s development too.
Rowett has put a lot of faith in him and seems to be progressing massively
under Rowett’s guidance. This is no disrespect to Jack Butland who is a great
keeper but moving to a premier league side too early often slows down a career
and Butland is an example of that happening directly from Birmingham City.
Nathan Redmond has impressed in parts but has also found himself back in the
Championship after a short time away in the Prem. I think Demarai is massive
for the club moving forward but also the club could play a massive role in the
player moving forward.
| Jordan Ibe and Will Hughes celebrate together |
One moment of magic from a David Cotterill free kick against
Huddersfield is the only reason I have to mention the game itself. Slow paced,
dull performance from both sides saw a 1-0 away win for the boys in blue. On
paper, a 4-0 defeat to Derby looks a little embarrassing but watching the game
it certainly didn’t feel that way. The Rams came to St. Andrews and played
outstanding football. Its difficult to know how good a performance Bournemouth
put in as they were facing a weak, poorly organised team under the management
of a care taker but for me, Derby were superior. The free flowing, attacking
football was a joy to watch, especially outstanding performances from the likes
of Will Hughes, Chris Martin and Jordan Ibe. In all honesty, Derby were simply
a far better team than us. Perhaps we
could have stopped a goal going in or got one back ourselves but they were
simply just too good. This defeat certainly didn’t have me in a negative state
of mind and I felt confident ahead of our second meeting with Forest this
season.
After the 4-0 defeat the blues managed to keep a four game
undefeated run, which they’re still holding onto, even If one was a narrow
victory to non-league Blythe Spartans. I can’t believe how nice it is to be a
blues fan right now. Even with all the back room confusion still going on, with
no one really 100% sure who exactly runs the club and how little money we have
left, watching the team has gone from a chore to a joyful pastime. We’ve even
made the addition of Lloyd Dyer on loan, a man who played a massive role in
getting Leicester to the premier league but turned down a new contract in the
summer. He then joined Watford but hasn’t enjoyed as much success. When the
Foxes came to St. Andrews last season, Dyer showed true class and was one of Leicester’s
best players on the night. With his blistering pace and strong left foot, Dyer
gives the Blues some much needed diversity. Dyer will be Blues’ only left
footed winger and will mean Gray has chance to be rested and rotated instead of
burning him out before the last few months of the season.
Thank you Gary Rowett for all that you have done and all
that you are going to do for the rest of your time at Blues. We are not worthy.
No comments:
Post a Comment