Thursday, 6 November 2014

England National Side: Squad Selection

The England team training at this summers world cup
With the upcoming matches against Slovenia and Scotland, the England squad was released earlier today.


The first thing that struck me after looking at the selection was that Roy has decided to pick three left backs. Not that I dislike any of these left sided defenders, I’m just unsure if they’re needed. The centre of the defense needs more cover, especially considering that with one injury to our main center backs, our first choice is Chris Smalling, who in my opinion isn’t good enough. Its difficult to pick out a player at centre back who has consistently performed this year but players like Curtis Davies who clearly display better performances should be given the chance no matter what stage in their career they may be at.

Southampton's Nathaniel Clyne
I’m hopeful that this time around, Nathaniel Clyne will get his chance to earn his first cap for England. During the last international qualifiers, Clyne failed to earn a cap and was beaten out by Calum Chambers, who wasn’t even selected into the main squad until John Stones picked up an injury and meant Roy called Chambers up from the backups. As talented a player Chambers is, I cannot understand how he is preferred to Clyne. Last season, none other than Nathaniel Clyne kept Calum Chambers out of the Southampton starting line up. Clyne consistently performs to the level he did last season and Southampton currently sit second in the Premier League. Since moving to Arsenal, Chambers has played a lot of his games as a center back to fill in for injured or suspended players. I can’t understand how Roy can select Chambers over Clyne, who in my opinion is the far better player and his performances have been consistently brilliant for the last two seasons and he is the most talented English right back around at the moment, with the exception of perhaps Kyle Walker who seems to have disappeared all together from the footballing world. According to the player performance index, Clyne ranks as the third best performing defender in the premier league and 24th best when including all positions. Calum Chambers only just makes it into the top 100 highest performers in the league at 94. If Clyne isn’t given his chance this time, I don’t see the use in consistently calling him up without giving him a chance.

I am happy with James Milner’s inclusion and am a massive advocate of his. (For more on Milner, written earlier in the season, click here: http://footballthoughtspot.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/james-milner-worker-or-footballer.html).

Theo Walcott (right) makes it back into the England side
 with Arsenal teammate Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (left)



 Despite playing only one short role as a substitute this season due to a sustained injury, Theo Walcott makes it straight back into the squad. If he is selected over James Milner, Raheem Sterling or Stuart Downing, these players will feel hard done by as they have proven themselves this season and deserve to be consistently picked for the national side. Michael Carrick has made one appearance this season and if he starts in the middle, I think it would be extremely unfair on Henderson or Wilshere, similar to the Walcott situation. After Downing’s spell at Liverpool, some may forget the ability he actually possesses. I’m very glad that Roy looked over regular players or experienced England players and selected Downing who has been in fine form this season. Downing has played every minute of every game (10 matches) for West Ham and created 4 goals for his teammates.
 
There are no major surprises with the Forward selection. Regulars Danny Welbeck, Wayne Rooney and Rickie Lambert slip into the squad with no real competition for places with Sturridge being injured. Due to this vacancy Saido Berahino has been rewarded for his performances and deserves his spot. With an incredible seven goals in ten games, it’s impossible to ignore the twenty one year old.

Overall, I am impressed with Hodgson’s selection as long as he has the intention of playing some of the new players he has called into the squad, rather than just leaving them on the bench and relying on players with minimal game time this season like Walcott and Carrick. With this squad, I don’t think we should have a problem beating Slovenia or Scotland and for that matter qualifying shouldn’t be too difficult. I’m really excited to see if Downing will start either game and how he slots into the national side. With Harry Kane’s Europa league heroics, some will be disappointed not to see him in the squad over an under performing Lambert. In years to come I think Kane would make a great addition but he isn’t yet starting premier league games and I feel its probably best for his development if he’s nurtured in the under 21’s a little longer. English players are exciting me again, I just wish Roy would really attack a team, rather than sit back when were confident our team is stronger than the oppositions. A win against Scotland would definitely keep a huge smile on my face and will hopefully be a very convincing performance and hopefully the same against Slovenia.

No comments:

Post a Comment